Friday, August 20, 2010

8/20/2010 cont...

*Feeling like I got something I wasn't supposed to. We wanted to go swimming tonight, we packed a picnic dinner like always, but seeing the dark clouds made it a bit ominous. It's a lot of effort to get everything together and then be turned away because they saw lightening 45 miles away (maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. You can see lightning really far away on the flat..I mean the South Plains). But alas we went anyways with happy attitudes. As we were eating I saw a lightning strike. I didn't tell the kids but told Klint we had to quickly get in the pool before they shut it down. I saw two more strikes before I stepped into the lazy river. We played for a good 30 minutes before they announced they had seen lightning. I felt like we were sneaky or something and got away with swimming when we shouldn't have. Call me rebellious if you'd like :-)

*After leaving the pool, we walked by the City Center (where the Red Raiders play basketball). It sits upon the largest hill in Lubbock I believe. I encouraged the boys to roll down it. They did. I did. Klint did. Lots of laughter. Now lots of itchy from the grass on bare skin...but completely worth it. Memories. Joy in the moment. Seizing the opportunity that wasn't practical or logical. Summer fun.

*Trying to gather everyone together to read scriptures tonight. Everyone was in a good mood (I think the rolling helped with that) and it was hard to get serious. It ended in a big wipes fight. More laughter, more memories, more joy in the moment. I don't think I could have planned a better night.

*laying in Klint's arms. My happy place.

No comments: