Monday, August 16, 2010

8/16/10

Thinking hard today....
*Going to the South Plains food bank with my three kids in tow. wow. Our stake held an emergency food drive, since the food bank was nearly empty (seriously...it was so sad). We delivered the food tonight, and the Stake President wanted as many people there as possible. He also asked us to each bring another sack of food with us when we came. As a stake we ended up collecting a SEMI trailer FULL of food. Really incredible. We also had thousands and thousands of dollars donated. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints also matched our donations with another semi truck of food sent from the Bishop's storehouse in Dallas. I was humbled and overwhelmed. My heart was so full when I saw men who hold the priesthood...the same priesthood that existed in the primitive church...wearing bright yellow mormon helping hands vests directing the dozens and dozens of vehicles dropping off more food and staying to help sort. It was breathtaking. I felt so proud to be a part of it. I felt humbled that we were able to help with such a sufficient need. I felt the Lord confirming to my heart that He was pleased with our very small sacrifice. We stayed for an hour and a half and I was a little sad to leave. It was a joyful night. I'm glad my kids were there. I'm glad we donated nearly every week this summer. I'm glad the kids and I walked the neighborhood telling people that we're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day and that we were collecting food for the food bank. I'm glad my kids had this experience. I'm glad that maybe when they are in school and everyone is talking about their churches (yep...it really happens here, everyone wants to make sure you have a church family) my boys will proudly declare they are mormons...and maybe this is just one more reason out of so many to speak up.

*Joyful living in Texas. I love having the missionaries knock on my door to check up on us. I love that I was invited to help with some discussions tomorrow. I love that confirming feeling in my heart that these are all good and true things.

*It was joyful feeling inspiration and having a great idea for my next scripture study. It's a long one...will probably take six months...but I don't think I've ever been so excited about something to study.

*It's joyful that although it was a relatively tough day with Emily...ok nothing relative about it, it was a tough day... that I can still find joy. And not shallow fleeting happiness...but joy. happy sigh.

No comments: